Pizza dough, like other bread recipes, can be intimidating. It’s actually easy to make. This recipe is foolproof. Keep the ingredients handy and you’ll be able to make homemade pizza in about an hour for a fraction of the cost of delivery. When you’re ready to bake your pizza, put it in the oven at 450 degrees for 15 minutes. You can bake two at once on different racks in the oven but if you do, switch them halfway through so that they finish at the same time.
1-1/4 c very warm water
1 packet rapid active yeast
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar
4 c. all-purpose flour
1. dissolve packet of yeast in 1-1/4 c. very warm water. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons sugar and mix well. The mixture will be cloudy. Once all lumps are removed, pour the yeast and water mixture into a very large bowl.
2. Add 1 cup flour to the yeast mixture and mix well. Continue to add flour 1 cup at a time, mixing until it forms a ball and becomes hard to stir. At this time, move the dough ball onto a clean, floured counter top.
3. Add flour and knead the dough until it is no longer sticky. Knead well for 5 minutes. form into a ball, and coat with olive oil.
4. Place the oil-covered ball into another bowl and cover with a warm towel. Let the dough rise until it doubles in size, 30 minutes. Divide dough in half to make two pizzas.
A basic go-to pizza dough that is made with a stand mixer. Makes two pizzas.
4 teaspoons yeast
2 c. warm water
4 teaspoons sugar
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
4-1/2 c flour (bread flour preferred, but all-purpose works also)
2 teaspoons salt
1. In the bowl of a stand-mixer fitted with the dough hook, stir together the yeast, warm water and sugar. Stir in the olive oil, then turn the mixer on low and gradually add in the flour and salt. Turn mixer up to medium and knead the dough until it comes together and forms a soft ball and pulls away from the sides of the bowl, adding more flour (1/4 c at a time) if needed. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and allow the dough to rise two hours. Once risen, turn dough out gently onto a floured surface (you do not want to knead the dough here), and divide the dough in half. Press each half into a greased pizza pan, covering the pan and a little up the sides to form the crust. Top with desired toppings and bake in a 450 degree oven for around 15 minutes or until crust is firm and golden and center of pizza is cooked through.
* You can use the pizza pans with holes on the bottom. The holes help the bottom of the crust get golden and crisp. (I use a fork by poking holes all over the dough)
* You can use half wheat flour and half white flour with this recipe with great results.