This bread is slightly sweeter than regular white bread and has an extra cinnamon flavor. The sugary cinnamon swirl that runs through the middle adds an extra punch to the bread. This 1-loaf recipe makes a great breakfast bread and a great replacement for pre-made pastries bought in the store.
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 45 minutes
1/2 c. milk
1 package active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
3/4 c. warm water
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 c. flour
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon butter
1. in small saucepan, warm milk and 1 tablespoon butter until melted. Set aside until lukewarm.
2. In small bowl,mix water and yeast until dissolved.
3. In large bowl, add 2 tablespoons sugar, salt, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. pour in lukewarm milk and butter. Mix until sugar and salt is dissolved. Stir in yeast and water.
4. Mix in 2-1/2 cups flour. Turn onto floured board and knead in the remaining half cup of flour or until the dough is soft and smooth.
5. Put dough in greased bowl and turn dough so top is greased. Cover and let rise in warm place for 60 minutes, or until doubled in size.
6. Punch down dough. turn dough onto floured board and knead for 1 minute.
7. Roll dough out into a basic rectangular shape. Use a butter knife or fingers to spread 2 tablespoons softened butter on the top of dough. Evenly spread 2 tablespoons sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon on top of butter.
8. Roll up dough and form into 1 loaf. Put into buttered bread pan. cover and let rise until double in size, 30 minutes.
9. Preheat oven 375 degrees.
10. Score dough with 3 slashes across the top with a sharp knife. Put in oven and bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.
11. Turn out bread and let cool on a rack or dishtowel.
* When applying the softened butter and sugar/cinnamon mixture one can add 1/2 c. of raisins to make a cinnamon/raisin bread.
* This bread is great toasted in the toaster for breakfast.