Basic 2-loaf white bread is one of the easiest recipes for all beginners to learn. The recipe uses all the basic bread ingredients: flour, milk, water, yeast, sugar and salt. serve fresh out of the oven or frozen for later use.
Prep Time: 3 hours
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 3 hours, 45 minutes
1 c. milk
2 Tablespoon butter
1/2 c. warm water
2 packages active dry yeast
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon salt
1 c. warm water
6-7 cups unbleached bread flour
1. Heat 1 c. milk and 2 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat when butter is melted. Set aside to cool.
2. Pour 1/2 c. of warm water into a small bowl. Slowly pour yeast into bowl while stirring. The constant stirring while adding the yeast will prevent the dry yeast from clumping. Set the bowl of yeast water aside for about 5 minutes while you work on the next 2 steps.
3. In a large bowl, add sugar, salt and 1 c. warm water. Mix.
4. Check the small saucepan of milk and butter. If the contents are warm to the touch, pour the liquid into the large bowl and mix.
5. Pour the yeast water into the large bowl. It is important that the batter is warm, not boiling hot. Hot liquid, such as the milk you heated up, will kill the dry yeast and prent the bread from rising.
6. Begin mixing in the unbleached bread flour, one cup at a time. By the fifth cup, the dough will begin to get stiff and it will be difficult to mix it with the wooden spoon. Turn dough onto a floured board and begin to knead. Continue adding more flour and kneading the flour into the dough until the dough is smooth, not sticky.
7. Next, grease a large bowl with butter. Put the bread dough in the bowl and then turn the dough over so that the top of the dough is now buttered. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let the dough rise at room temperature until double in size for about 1 hour.
8. Punch down dough. Turn it onto a floured board and knead out all the bubbles for about 5 minutes. Divide the dough in half and from each half into a loaf by rolling the dough into a rectangle. Roll the dough up like a jelly roll. Pinch seam closed. Pinch and tuck edges under the loaf.
9. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Butter two loaf pans. Set loaves in pans, cover with kitchen towel and allow to rise until double in size for about 30 minutes.
10. Bake bread for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove bread from oven and turn out loaves onto a rack or a clean kitchen towel. Allow to cool before cutting.